What We Do
“The IWSR's key assets are their knowledge and experience of the industry and, most importantly, they also provide a superb user-friendly market data interface.
Over the last 10 years as marketing analyst for Chivas Brothers I have been a regular user of the IWSR. I would say that the IWSR is the ‘must have’ data source for anyone involved in the international wine and spirits market.”
Marketing analyst, Chivas Brothers
Over the last 40 years we have built up the world’s largest database on the beverage alcohol market.
We are the only company that allows you to understand the market, category and brand performance in 157 countries across the world using local market input.
- Drawing on 40 years’ experience, we triangulate company data and local in-market research to produce the most trusted beverage alcohol analysis.
- Our 20 specialist analysts travel the world, visiting 118 markets annually, in order to meet over 1,500 local professionals. Our data covers 157 markets in total.
- We reconcile conflicts between official data and market reality.
- We assess the importance of the unofficial market (grey/cross-border).
- We produce reports where no statistics exist, based on local input.
The IWSR’s methodology is unique. This allows us to gain a far better understanding of the dynamics of a country and its real, rather than reported, consumption patterns.
This first-hand knowledge of the local markets allows the IWSR’s analysts to produce the most accurate reports and forecasts for each country rather than straight-line forecasts or analysis purely derived from desk research.
No forecast can ever be 100% accurate, but the unique IWSR approach has proven to be reliable. Comparing last year’s forecast for 2015 with actual 2015 data, the IWSR’s forecast for wine at a global level was overestimated by just 2% and understated by only -1.1% for all spirits.
We use this data and knowledge to produce intuitive databases, The Economist-style news and comment through our monthly magazine and Insight Reports to give an in-depth understanding of specific countries and categories.
With the industry increasingly moving towards premiumisation of its products, the IWSR is the only source that measures this by brand and by price/quality segments.
Our clients use these products and services for their annual planning, board presentations, merger and acquisition assessments, and competitive positioning.